Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Dinner with Korean BBQ

Bookmark and Share

Hi all this is my first blog post ever I know how excited you must be(another blog on the internet especially mine is a big deal.) I, if you could not tell, am a father of 2 young girls aged 4 and 2 with a little boy on the way. I must confess that my blog title may be a little misleading I am not a chef, well at least not a professional one, as well I am not a professional writer. I do have some street cred though I worked at the golden arches when I was younger once and at a grocery store as well as a real bonifide Italian restaurant. Though I did mainly wash dishes at the restaurants I was also a chef at times responsible for big things like salads, I know I was big time. What I hope to accomplish from this blog are two things one and most importantly is I want to share recipes with other parents. Seeing as my wife lacks any natural ability in the kitchen (she caught her macaroni and cheese on fire) I am the main provider of eats to my family. This has led to the stress of such a position and I am always looking for new ideas ,especially ones that my children will like, and thus I want to share ideas that work and even those that do not. Secondly I would like to keep a journal of what I have been feeding my family so that I may better prepare our next meal. I do want to warn you my children are not very picky eaters so they eat most things, though pickiness is popping up its annoying head(apparently mushrooms are no longer considered worthy of eating >:( ). Never the less I was inspired when shopping at our local Asian market to make the following, I know its not the most original dish but cut some slack it was easy as can be.

1 pound steak thinly sliced against the grain

½ half of large yellow onion sliced

1 cup of shitake mushrooms sliced

½ cup frozen corn

¼ cup sliced scallions for garnish

2 cups long grain rice

1 cup of Korean bbq sauce

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Combine all ingredients, except the rice, in a bowl or zip-top bag allowing to marinade for at least 30min. Cook the rice as directed on the package. Heat a pan and the oil until screaming hot and then add the ingredients that have been marinading. Cook for 5 to 6 min until the steak is where you like it then sever over rice and enjoy. My children loved this recipe it was their first exposure to Korean food, though how truly Korean it was is up for debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment